That Takes Some Nerve

I have been listening to a series of teleseminars on creative prosperity and all of the things you need to do and believe in order to make a living as a creative person. Clearly someone at the Los Angeles Zoo has been drinking from this water big time. Seriously, who pays $15.00 for a couple of sodas and churros?

One of the things I have heard over and over again is that in order to make the money you want, you need to know (and find) the ideal client. Here’s what I’m thinking; I’ll wait and see who goes for this so-called deal and then pounce. After all, if they can afford this then they can certainly afford to pay me for my art. I may have to do a piece focusing around churros and soda, but hey, I’m creative and I can make this work!

What do you think, would you pay this? Also, do you have the courage to ask for what you are worth?

About these ads

About bridgetstraub

Author, Artist & Mom. First novel "Searching for My Wand" was published in December 2011
This entry was posted in My Blogs and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to That Takes Some Nerve

1. Margarita says:

It’s hard for me to justify $15 for churros and sodas because as a child in Venezuela churros were MUCH less than that and totally delicious. Having said that, good for them for asking what they feel it’s worth. We live in a time when we undermine our worth and that needs to stop. And it stops with each one of us individually. By all means, have the courage to ask your worth…the customers who agree with your assessment will come.

2. Angela Brown says:

I bow my head in shame but I have not had a churro and can’t think of why a churro would need to cost much. However, the sodas, that, I have had. And unless a churro is something beyond any description of divine and entails the ability to cover all the food you need to eat in a day, then I can not see paying that amount of money for two churros and two sodas.

As for asking for what I’m worth…I’d have to think about that since both my logic and my fantasy parts of brain battle out on this whole “monetary worth” bit. lol!!

3. hezalyte says:

Indeed supply/demand and convenience would come into play… but i strongly believe you can find a better churro somewhere else. And the sodas? well, they still have those vending machines out selling for much less. Altogether you would be looking at a better price, including gas, if you went elsewhere, regardless.

I doubt the zoo asked themselves the same question as you would ask about valuing their own worth. This is simply a way to rip people off in the name of convenience.

About my own personal pieces of art/projects and trying to value the selling prices, I have to say its not as easy as it seems. Its something that we put our heart and feeling into and that is something you can never put a price on, but the materials used and the time you spent can be valued. I try to think about it like that. And as long as the number I come up with isn’t appalling according to the representation of my product, then all is good and people will gladly support that.

4. Arlee Bird says:

The zoo like an airport is dealing with a captive audience, an ironic state of affairs that brings to mind the old image of the zoo visitor watch the monkeys who are watching the silly zoo visitors. No way that I’d pay that for the churros and a drink–at least I say that from where I am, but once in the zoo with nowhere else to turn then maybe i would. I think I saw bottles of water for $3 or so there when I went. I think there is a story locked in here somewhere. Think of all the great metaphors one could unleash.

5. bethany says:

I have a terrible time asking for what I’m worth. I’ve had several clients insist on paying me more than I’ve billed them for … sigh. And that price for churros and soda? Appalling. I’ve paid $5 for a half liter bottle of water before, it’s crazy what the venue will do to the pricing, and how much they have you over a barrel. If they won’t let you bring in your own food/drink, they double the price … at least. I smuggle in food before I’ll pay that kind of money :).

• bridgetstraub says:

I do too! I take the kids to a 7/11 before a movie. Also, you are priceless but one day I too will pay you a lot more than you ask, lol!

6. Laura Hall says:

The fundamental difference between the zoo’s pricing of food and our pricing of our creative work is that once you’re in the zoo, you don’t really have a choice. But with art, music, writing, etc,. there are TONS of choices, so the thinking behind how we price our work has to be fundamentally different.

I think we have to start by considering how what we bring is creative, unique and true to itself. And I agree we also have to find the right audience for it; who are we speaking to? What can we bring to their lives? Why would they choose our work? Then lastly, What are they willing/able to pay for it?

All that being said, I have a terrible time asking for what I’m worth. I have learned these magic words, for example if I’m on the phone with a client discussing money, “I’ll have to get back to you on that”. Then I can do all my agonizing over the money part on my own!